Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Unorthodox Bento Box

SAM_6890

This quilt started as a challenge quilt for the “Sew Sisters” at Kindred Spirits Quilt Co.  Michelle the owner, asked her staff for a small challenge quilt using specific lines available at the store. I chose the line called Salt Air. The quilt was to be an original design, geared to beginners and on the smaller size. Perhaps a runner, but no larger than a lap.

I started with the idea that I would do a small square table topper, based on the block called Bento Box. I got all my blocks finished, laid it out and went “UG!”  as in UGLY, UGLY. What was I thinking? I was thinking that it would look really good, however it did not. So now what was I going to do with it,  as the table topper idea really did not work.

I opted to turned the blocks on point, add setting triangles and squeeze out a lap quilt instead of my original thought.

SAM_6891

Now I’m happy with it…hence the name “Unorthodox Bento Box” as this is not how a bento box quilt  should go together or look.

Sometimes a girl’s got do what a girl’s gotta do. Think outside the Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment